Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Charging Senders of Text Messages

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:52:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: October 11, 2008 3:03:13 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Charging Senders of Text Messages

At 02:55 AM 10/11/2008, Dave Burstein wrote:

The FCC is about to make two decisions that are crucial. One, announced tonight, is that Martin wants 20 MHz of spectrum opened up for a service that includes free low speed data for 95% of the U.S. (M2Z's proposal.) That will be especially valuable if the latency on the new network (probably WiMAX) is low enough that I can make VOIP calls. I hope that is included in the licensing terms.

In other words, the FCC wishes to give free spectrum to a company that will directly compete with my business and others like it -- despite the years of effort and millions of dollars we've invested in our networks?

Instead, the government should make that spectrum available to existing independent broadband providers, who currently have been unable to get it at any price that they could possibly afford.

--Brett Glass