Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: I dont know how to title this but on net-netrality, google and the world may fit

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 04:27:51 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: November 11, 2008 12:45:09 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] I dont know how to title this but on net- netrality, google and the world may fit

On the subject of threats to competition, I'd suggest based on my experience that the anti-trust laws have clarified this issue quite well.

It's not illegal to *have* a monopoly. It is illegal to *use* the market power of a monopoly has to do certain things that are otherwise legal for a company with substantial competition.

Microsoft is legally a monopoly today. In theory, that constrains it from doing certain things.

Google may indeed be shown to have a monopoly on "search" in the Internet. In theory, then, it may have to restrain itself from doing things that would otherwise be legal.

But Clelend's arguments are disingenuous, because he presents them to contrast Google to first-mile access providers, who are the major funders of NetCompetition, who have both *got* monopolies (government granted) and have tried *use* their monopoly position to block traffic and limit customer choices in many ways by blocking Internet traffic, examining its content, and so forth.

So I could ask here: does Cleland want to make a statement about the dangers of local access monopolies? A lawyer cross-examining his "testimony" would require him to explain how inspection of traffic by local access monopolies is different than that of Google. I suspect he will try to change the subject to another attack on Google. Don't let him.

If Cleland did not try to argue that "Google is worse" and directly compare Google to first mile access providers (as he did in Markey's hearing on the same panel as I was, his argument might make more sense. But in the same breath he tried to argue that an ISP doing DPI on all of its customers' data was "competitive" but Google was anti-competitive. That makes no sense.

Users can choose whether or not to use "search" and what quer data to send to be "searched" for. That possibility is not available in the monopoly on the local cable (or oligopoly in rare cases - though when I pointed out to Cable Labs that I had two competing cable services, Richard Greene said jokingly at the FCC TAC, "we'll fix that").

Google's monopoly, if there is one, is of a different kind than the actual monopoly of first mile access networks, which he defends.

Begin forwarded message: