Interesting People mailing list archives

Government-mandated Internet Filtering in Australia

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:27:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 18, 2008 5:57:39 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Government-mandated Internet Filtering in Australia

Dave,

We've talked here before about government plans in Oz for mandatory
filtering of Internet content.

Of course it will be ineffective, given proxies, VPNs, and any number
of other crypto and associated workarounds.  But it can still do
a lot of damage.

One of the best writeups I've seen explaining why such broad,
mandatory filtering is a lamebrain and even dangerous idea is
at a site run by Electronic Frontiers Australia:

http://nocleanfeed.com/learn.html

I strongly recommend taking a few minutes to read over this
material.  What happens in Australia, doesn't necessarily stay in
Australia.  And here in the U.S., we've seen plenty of political
posturing resulting in the current attempts at Internet content
control still bouncing around the courts.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com