Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Is There a Privacy Risk in Google Flu Trends? - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:18:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: November 17, 2008 4:16:24 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: rotenberg () epic org
Subject: Re: [IP] Is There a Privacy Risk in Google Flu Trends? - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

David Farber wrote:

"I talked to Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, and he agreed with me to a large extent. “I think Google Flu Trends makes clear an ongoing problem with the use of Google search which has not been resolved,” said Mr. Rotenberg, one of two co-signers of the letter to Mr. Schmidt.

Google is making many beds and inviting many governmental bodies to climb in them. And governmental bodies are jumping in. Trouble is, it is the privacy rights of individuals that are getting scrod.

For example, the US Weather service now puts Google maps on their weather pages. The effect is to not only let Google know every time a person makes use of the US weather service web pages but also to let Google know what location was queried and gives Google yet another ability to read and write browser tracking cookies.

There is no way to opt out - if one gets the US weather service data then one automatically is swept into Google's maw. Giving one's browser data to Google is now the price one must pay to use this governmental service.

This data may not be "personally identifiable information" in terms of the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 USC 552a), at least not within the context of the weather service which probably lacks the technical warewithal to link the data to a name. But within Google there is a goodly chance that this access data in conjunction with Google's other data and the tracking cookies can be linked by Google to a single computer and perhaps a named person.

[I've written to the privacy officer at the weather service about this, but have not had the honor of a reply and it would not surprise me if I do not ever get a reply. (I am reminded of a similar lack of response when I complained a decade ago when the US gave the domain name whois database to Network Solutions nee Verisign.)]

Similarly, Google is running around the country offering to universities a deal in which Google will operate the university email systems in return for what amounts to a almost limitless right to capture, retain, and mine whatever it can from that email. Most universities do not recognize the risk to their unperfected patent rights from this kind of outside disclosure. And they even less seem to recognize the bulk privacy issues of this university-Google partnership to create, or greatly supplement, a Google owned dossier on every student, faculty member, and staff person at the university.

What is happening is that our governmental bodies, which are strapped for cash due to things like the Iraq war and the like, are being enticed to save a few dollars by selling our privacy to Google.

It is illuminating to go back to things like the 1973 HEW report on privacy, the congressional reports on the Privacy Act of 1974, the 1977 report of the Privacy Protection Study Commission, and the European reports on the same matters. One of the great fears was the linking of databases. For years those fears were largely unrealized - that is until Google.

                --karl--