Interesting People mailing list archives

Is There a Privacy Risk in Google Flu Trends? - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:33:08 -0500

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/does-google-flu-trends-raises-new-privacy-risks/

"I talked to Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, and he agreed with me to a large extent. “I think Google Flu Trends makes clear an ongoing problem with the use of Google search which has not been resolved,” said Mr. Rotenberg, one of two co-signers of the letter to Mr. Schmidt.

But he insisted that, by highlighting the unresolved problem, Google Flu Trends made things worse. “I think this does change the game,” he said. “Google is inviting public health officials to make more of search information. In doing so, it has heightened the privacy risk to p"