Interesting People mailing list archives

In re voting system "glitches"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:39:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: November 1, 2008 9:14:38 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] In re voting system "glitches"

David Farber wrote:
Begin forwarded message:
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () GSP ORG>

And it's not just failure for the person who's vote wasn't counted
properly, it's a failure for all of us. (I trust that *everyone*,
whoever/whatever they support, doesn't want that candidate or ballot issue
to prevail because someone else's vote wasn't counted: they want their
side to win because everyone's vote WAS counted and their candidate/ issue came out ahead. I also trust that it's clear to everyone that if things
don't work out this way, that representative democracy is broken.)

Miscounting a vote is a failure.

Ahhh.. isn't idealism wonderful - for the other guys. There are quite a few who would consider miscounting a vote as a success, as long as the miscount goes in their favor, and who will take steps to achieve such miscounts.

Even in the absence of outright hacking of voting machines, massive attempts at voter suppression make it obvious that there are many who don't care how they prevail, just that they do prevail.

As Stalin said: "I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how."

The words for the day have to be:
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vigilance >." (Jefferson)
"Trust, but verify." (Reagan)

Miles