Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Viruses?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:12:01 -0700

From: Bob Drzyzgula [bob () drzyzgula org]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 1:22 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    Hardware Viruses?

Dave,

Interesting related story in the May 2008 IEEE Spectrum.

--Bob Drzyzgula

http://spectrum.ieee.org/may08/6171

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 9:52 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: Kenneth_Mayer () Dell com
Subject: Re: [IP] Hardware Viruses?

Dave, Ken,

I would say the article is inaccurate in the statement that the hardware
vector is more difficult.

On the contrary, ten years ago, the external peripherals I connected to
my machine were limited to mice, keyboards and perhaps a printer. Even
further back, hard drives themselves had no intelligent controllers (the
interfaces today are false/logical, and have zero to do with actual
drive construction, geometry to simplify the OS interface) Now the list
of peripherals is nearly endless.