Interesting People mailing list archives

The 5/17 thread on "IP" distribution list re: improperly redacted DOJ PDF files...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 17:50:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Stromfeld <dstromfe () adobe com>
Date: May 19, 2008 5:01:46 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: The 5/17 thread on "IP" distribution list re: improperly redacted DOJ PDF files...

Dave,

A colleague forwarded me a copy of the email thread started on your “IP” distribution list on 5/17 regarding improperly redacted DOJ PDF files. I’ve since subscribed to this list. However, I wasn’t sure of the etiquette re: posting to this list. So I wanted to forward the following information to you. If you think this is of interest to your list readers, please forward/post.

I work on the Acrobat Team at Adobe, and have been involved in our redaction feature. As I think others have pointed out on your distribution list, Acrobat and other PDF applications have specialized features which can properly and permanently remove sensitive information from PDF files. In Acrobat, we have two sets of features:

· Redaction – This can remove any visible content from a PDF file, including text, images, artwork/lines, video/multimedia, a nd more. It can also remove visible content from “image-only” PDFs created from scanners. Acrobat’s Redaction feature first becam e available in the current Acrobat 8 family of products and is avail able in Acrobat 8 Professional (Mac/Win) and Acrobat 3D Version 8 (W in).

· Examine Document – This can detect, preview and remove non-visible content from a PDF file, including metadata, comments, f ile attachments, hidden text, and more. Acrobat’s Examine Document feature also first became available in the current Acrobat 8 family of products and is available in Acrobat 8 Standard (Win), Acrobat 8 Professional (Mac/Win) and Acrobat 3D Version 8 (Win).

If you or your readers would like additional information on the tools available in Acrobat, there is some information available here (including a brief “Show Me” video), a redaction tutorial available here, and a good blog article on redaction here. Also, yo u or your readers are welcome to contact me directly at: dstromfe [ at] adobe [dot] com.

Thanks for the great distribution list.

Kind regards,

Dave

Dave Stromfeld  |  Senior Product Manager, Acrobat

Adobe Systems  |  dstromfe () adobe com

p 408.536.4203  |  f 347.214.2154