Interesting People mailing list archives

China's All-Seeing Eye

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 02:39:20 -0700

From: EEkid () aol com [EEkid () aol com]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 12:02 AM
To: David Farber; dfarber () cs cmu edu
Subject: China's All-Seeing Eye

"Over the past two years, some 200,000 surveillance cameras have been installed throughout the city. Many are in public
spaces, disguised as lampposts. The closed-circuit TV cameras will soon be connected to a single, nationwide network,
an all-seeing system that will be capable of tracking and identifying anyone who comes within its range — a project
driven in part by U.S. technology and investment. Over the next three years, Chinese security executives predict they
will install as many as 2 million CCTVs in Shenzhen, which would make it the most watched city in the world."

"The end goal is to use the latest people-tracking technology — thoughtfully supplied by American giants like IBM,
Honeywell and General Electric... "  "...to identify and counteract dissent before it explodes into a mass movement
like the one that grabbed the world's attention at Tiananmen Square."

"The mergers made L-1 a one-stop shop for biometrics. Thanks to board members like former CIA director George Tenet,
the company rapidly became a homeland-security heavy hitter."  "L-1 can legally supply its facial-recognition software
for use by the Chinese government."

"I get to the customs line at JFK, watching hundreds of visitors line up to have their pictures taken and fingers
scanned. In the terminal, someone hands me a brochure for "Fly Clear." All I need to do is have my fingerprints and
irises scanned, and I can get a Clear card with a biometric chip that will let me sail through security. Later, I look
it up: The company providing the technology is L-1."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/20797485/chinas_allseeing_eye/

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL
Food<http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001>.