Interesting People mailing list archives

Joseph Weizenbaum, computer pioneer and critic, dies in Berlin (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:51:07 -0800

From: Seth Grimes [grimes () altaplana com]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:01 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Joseph Weizenbaum, computer pioneer and critic, dies in Berlin (fwd)

From the CPSR list, possibly for IP reposting?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:57:01 -0800
From: Terry Winograd <winograd () cs stanford edu>

It is a loss to all of us. Joe pointed all of us in the direction that
CPSR has taken. I was reminded of awarding him the CPSR Wiener award 20
years ago.  What I said then still applies:
http://www.cpsr.org/prevsite/cpsr/weiz.html

To quote Joe:

"Perhaps the computer, as well as many other of our machines and
techniques, can yet be transformed, following our own authentically
revolutionary transformation, into instruments to enable us to live
harmoniously with nature and with one another. But one prerequisite will
first have to be met: there must be another transformation of man. And it
must be one that restores a balance between human knowledge, human
aspirations, and an appreciation of human dignity such that man may become
worthy of living in nature."
--t