Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Hope for Wireless Cities. (revised for clarity)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:44:23 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:23 AM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Charles Brown'; 'Miles Fidelman'; dpreed () reed com
Subject: RE: [IP] Hope for Wireless Cities. (revised for clarity)

I appreciate Charles and Miles adding to this because there are different ways of addressing this disconnect. I’m going
to try again from what I hope is another perspective. Given that this issue is central to so much policy and lives it’s
worth the effort. My wont is to be philosophical/pragmatic – visiting the pragmatic details from a long term
perspective. I fear being called an idealist because I learn by doing and by implementing.

There does indeed seem to be a disconnect and I’m trying to figure out how to get past it. This is not about ideals but
the basic question of whether we can network among ourselves or must buy networking as a service – be it networking by
exchanging bits or social networking by exchanging bits or by talking.

It is, perhaps, the idea that the bits themselves represent the entirety of our communications rather than seeing the
bits as merely a means just like we use sound waves or light waves (which are different kinds of waves). With both we
generally see patterns – it’s only in the strange world of telecommunications that we limit ourselves a string of bits
or single frequency signaling. And then we reconstitute patterns out of that and interpret “0852299613” as a boring
integer or maybe as the ISBN code for the Encyclopedia Britannica hard covered 2003 edition.

This notion that you have everyone use the same stealth radio or the same Internet protocols misses the point. All you
need is two parties (or two facets of one party) to agree to an interpretation of the waves or bits to constitute your
network. You can then grow it from there. Having a large number of people agree to a new protocols creates a powerful
community effect (Reed’s law) but the power of the end-to-end argument is that you can start very simply and get value
there.

In 1980 we would have called the current telecommunications model the best there can be because it didn’t permit
competition so we had no comparison. By understanding how to create solutions at the edge despite the insistence of
favors we couldn’t afford (such as isochronous reliable transport) we managed to internetworking among ourselves and we
called that prototype The Internet. It’s just one method and we could create as many approaches as we want though there
is a strong advantage of going with the crowd.

Today the community we call The Internet has coalesced ad even congealed around the prototype so we need to remember
that it’s just one way of doing things. When we try a new approach it’s not necessarily a new Internet but if it
catches on we can call it that.

This discussion started by focusing on wireless connectivity and filling a need but as I pointed out the reason why
it’s difficult to get traction on these new efforts is that they are too much like the old telecom model in depending
on services for funding the transport. But we already have that in cellular or people purchasing their own radio gear.
Yet there is a poorly articulated sense that something is missing. It may come from a desire for faster connections in
places where we don’t have a high speed wired (or fibered) infrastructure or a desire for mobility just like we can
jack into at home.

We have to articulate that need and translate it into implementation. This is the pragmatic part – it’s simply
infrastructure. Nothing fancy here, just hauling bits. The problem is that we seem to want something fancy like the
phone companies of yore just like we remember fondly the days of the great steam railroads (and forget the smoke
belching out across the plains). For the same reason we tend to think of it as expensive.

This is why I borrowed from Shakespeare in saying that the solution lies not in the networks but in ourselves. It is
our ability to network and all the networks from all the telecommunications companies in all the world could not do it
for us until we learned to internetwork ourselves.

To make this more clear we had X.400, the grand effort to bring the world of telecom to email. And it failed. The model
has passed into history even as we wait at Grand Central Station for the Twentieth Century Limited. The solution is not
another railroad nor is the solution for wireless connectivity another muni-bell selling services over its own wireless
tracks.