Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: THE IMPACT ON ADVERTISEMENT ON THE NET -- Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:06:38 -0700

From: Nick Johnson [arachnid () notdot net]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 9:02 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] THE IMPACT ON ADVERTISEMENT ON THE NET -- Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic

Dave,

For IP if you would be so kind.

Again, this is something we in NZ have had to put up with for a long time. Simply put:
1) Advertising is one of the costs you bear for viewing (some) free online content. Don't like the ads - avoid the
site. Easy.
2) Even in NZ, the extra cost of viewing ads in webpages is insignificant. Current rates are in the ballpark of $1.50
per GB, and most ads are (well) under 100kb, making the cost per ad of about one one hundredth of a cent. Even assuming
a _lot_ of browsing, I would not expect this to affect anyone in a significant manner.

Those annoying video ads are another matter, but there will always be abusive sites and adverts. I would also expect
the cost of bandwidth in the US to be way, way lower than what we pay in NZ.

Everyone's acting like this is some unique new model that nobody's ever seen before. There are plenty of examples to
draw real evidence from, rather than unfounded speculation, if you just look.

-Nick Johnson