Interesting People mailing list archives

Facebook & Addressbook Snarfing Pt II: Speeddate.com = the Gander?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 05:57:47 -0700

From: Neil Schwartzman [neil () petemoss com]
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 11:07 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Facebook & Addressbook Snarfing Pt II: Speeddate.com = the Gander?

Speeddate.com, after one signs up for an account, encourages users to
enter their email address on file with Facebook, and their FB account
password, too.

" Before viewing your message, find your friends on SpeedDate
Enter your Facebook email and password below
to find and invite friends on SpeedDate."

So, to recap, in theory, I've entered my Hotmail/Yahoo!/Gmail account
& password over at Facebook, and invited friends to join, and then
I'll spa^H^H virally market anyone who is a Facebook friend about
Speeddate.

Why does this make me uneasy?

This is, as far as I can tell, against FB AUPs and TOS.

http://developers.facebook.com/guidelines.php

II. Applications may not:

1. Contain functionality that requests or collects Facebook Site
usernames or passwords from any user;

http://www.facebook.com/policy.php

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

--