Interesting People mailing list archives

verizon archive security glitch?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 13:52:51 -0700

From: Rabkin, Eric [esrabkin () umich edu]
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 3:36 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: RE: [IP] verizon archive security glitch?

Dear Professor Farber,

When I accessed my home voicemail one day last week, I found about twenty messages for someone else.  Two were from a
for-profit plasma bank trying to entice this individual to further donations with a $5 increase in fee and the rest
were from assorted bill collectors.  No single message contained much identifying information but from the aggregate
and a bit of online searching I was able to gather the person's full name and address, not to mention details of
his/her economic life.  When I reported this mix-up to AT&T (my landline provider), they told me they already knew
there was a "malfunction in your area" and technicians were working on it.  That's it.  No apology for my wasted time,
the other person's exposed privacy, no acceptance of responsibility, nothing.  What they did do, though, was confirm
that when I had deleted each message that I had mistakenly thought was in my own voice mailbox, I had truly deleted it
from this other person's.  There was no apology for that, either, even though AT&T knew that their "malfunction" and my
ignorance had now destroyed what may have been crucial information for this other person.  Judging by the number and
consistent subjects of those recorded messages, clearly this individual has a difficult life.  I didn't want to make it
more difficult.  I found his/her phone number and left a message indicating that s/he might want to contact creditors
who otherwise might think s/he was being unresponsive to messages that s/he in actuality had never received.  Then I
tried to let the creditors know what had happened.  All but one didn't care; they would just escalate hounding this
person anyway until s/he paid.  But one collection agency did announce pleasantly that they would remove my phone
number, which had been harvested automatically by their caller-ID from my good Samaritan call, from their call-back
list.  That I never got a call back from the intended recipient of the original messages is, sadly, understandable.
That solvent and legally incorporated institutions that are charged with protecting privacy and most of which are
regulated by state and federal governments should be so indifferent in their responses to such errors is both frightful
and infuriating.  It makes one even more certain that they assign a very low value to the lives and rights of mere
human beings.  Perhaps we should all incorporate.  Apparently legal bodies are worth much, much more than the fleshly
kind, unless, of course, they are needed as a source of plasma.

Eric Rabkin

Eric S. Rabkin              734-764-2553 (Office)
Dept of English             734-764-6330 (Dept)
Univ of Michigan            734-763-3128 (Fax)
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1003     esrabkin () umich edu
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~esrabkin/