Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:02:05 -0700

From: Rupert Goodwins [rupert.goodwins () zdnet co uk]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:09 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

I agree we're drifting here, but I can't let amateur radio's reputation as an entirely bloodless sport go unchallenged.

It's not as if there is no pornographic material on amateur radio. There's a system called SSTV - slow-scan TV - which
is basically colour facsimile images transmitted on narrow bandwidth shortwave channels. It's very slow - slower than
the old 300bps tape systems - and low resolution, but nonetheless it's used by some European amateurs, especially on
the 14 MHz band, to transmit pictures of the upper torsos of unclothed women. It's the sort of thing you get in English
tabloid newspapers, but not on American network TV -- so I have no doubt that it would be counted as pornographic by
those who get excited by such things.

Shortwave is no respecter of borders or mores. Any teenager in Pensacola with a $50 shortwave radio and a laptop can
receive this stuff. I can't help but feel that if this were more widely known among the teenagers of Pensacola, amateur
radio would be somewhat less moribund.

It is not possible on any public access information distribution system to 'ban pornography', even assuming you can
agree on what pornography is, without such extreme measures of policing such that 'public access' no longer applies.

Rupert Goodwins, G6HVY