Interesting People mailing list archives

General Accountability Office

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:09:24 -0700

From: Carl Malamud [carl () media org]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:34 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: General Accountability Office

Hi Dave -

For IP if you wish.

I received 10 DVDs from the General Accountability Office in response
to a FOIA request.  While that is nice, I still think they gave away the
farm to the tune of several million dollars when they gave Thomson
West their federal legislative histories for nothing.  So, we've
followed up with an unsolicited joint venture proposal in which
GAO sends us the docs when Thomson is done with them.   We
explained in our GAO proposal that the U.S. public would happily take
the hand-me-downs after the foreign multinationals are done with these
documents paid for by our tax dollars.  I'm not getting my hopes up too
high though.

More information and a paper trail here:

http://public.resource.org/gao.gov/

Best regards,

Carl