Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FROM PARIS -- (STILL MUST HAVE BEEN FINE WINES TO COST $10M) must have been very good meals $10m

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:46:09 -0700

From: Karl Auerbach [karl () cavebear com]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:43 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   FROM PARIS -- (STILL MUST HAVE BEEN FINE WINES TO COST $10M) must have been very good meals $10m

David Farber wrote:
From: Rich Kulawiec [rsk () gsp org]

We don't need any more gTLDs:

I am here in Paris; I participated in the ICANN meeting.  As I type this
I'm looking out my window at the hotel where the meeting ended a few
hours ago.

(I am here as part of an ICANN working group to review and reconsider
the methods through which the public participates in ICANN and affects
its decisions.)

Getting back to new TLDs:

It is true that there are few real technical uses that would require a
TLD (the .bank proposal was one that did articulate a good technical
reason.)

However, since when have we become techno-nannies?  Since when did some
god or goddess endow us with the wisdom and power to say "no" to lawful
activities?  (And starting a TLD is a perfectly lawful activity.)

Are we not already in a world in which too many groups try to impose
their restrictions onto others?

I personally think that women who wear pants with "Juicy" painted across
the butt are eyesores.  Should I, or you, have the power to take those
pants off the market?

Bicycles are used in get-aways from bank robberies.  Should we ban bicycles?

Email can be used for phishing; should we ban email?  The web is a great
vehicle for porn, so let's ban the web as well.

Focus on the Family would love to have an internet in which anything and
everything can be shut down because that thing could be used for a bad
purpose.  Do we want that?

ICANN is trying (slowly) to get out of the way and reduce it its
regulatory footprint.  That is a trend we should encourage not condemn.

Let's deal with concrete abusive acts, not things that, among their many
positive uses, could be abused.

                --karl--