Interesting People mailing list archives

Wonder what response he will get from this note to Obama on Telecom bill?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:48:37 -0700

From: Randall Webmail [rvh40 () insightbb com]
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:03 PM
To: dewayne () warpspeed com; David Farber; johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com
Subject: Wonder what response I'll get from this?

[Bill Burton is Spokesperson for the Obama campaign.]

To: bburton () barackobama com

Dear Mr. Burton:

I am writing to you to inquire about Senator Obama's intentions with the pending bill which would immunize the telcos
(and thus the current Administration) for their admitted violation of the FISA wiretapping requirements.

I understand that Senator Obama earlier said that he would filibuster this abomination as it was then proposed:
<http://tinyurl.com/5bghgb>.

The "compromise" bill that was approved by the House of Representatives is no compromise at all, but is instead a
capitulation. The current bill is in practical effect identical to the one Senator Obama promised to filibuster.

There is no conceivable reason the Telecom companies should be given a free pass for their blatant disregard of our
privacy rights, as enshrined in federal law.

We have been told time and again that the Democratic majority in Congress is unable to do anything productive, because
the Republicans have more than 40 Senators, thus the Democrats cannot break a threatened filibuster.

The Democrats have 51 Senators, which is certainly enough to filibuster this egregious assault on the Fourth Amendment.
 Will Senator Obama keep his earlier promise and stand up for all Americans, or will he cooperate in the capitulation?

Of what use is it to have a Democratic Party, if it is going to toe the Republican Party line?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours,

Yadda Yadda Yadda