Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Clarification -- Re: Re: Repression in Austria over PGP keys

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:07:08 -0700

From: Steven J. Manning [sjmanning () fymc com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:29 PM
To: Richard Forno
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: Clarification -- Re: [IP] Re:   Repression in Austria over PGP keys

Hello Dave.  For IP if you wish.

And Richard.

Indeed.  If Richard did not pen the referenced article, he should not be chided for it.  Not for the article.

Re-reading his initial note, the third time - this time at his suggestion, I am trying to find where he offered any
critical or evaluatory  statements on the story.  By "anonymous."  My very strong reaction to the content of Richard's
post was his focus on the "PGP" aspect of the story.  In context of all matters of social and political conscience,
that may not be the most relevant, albeit of interest.  Witness legislature passed in the U.S. just yesterday.

As to homework, Richard might have evaluated the information prior to deign it of interest and worthy of reading by
your constituency, Dave.  Also as to homework, I ignored the original authorship, since the tone of the post was that
of a report.

The underlaying matters of importance in the story remain.  Your, Richard's, and my tangential acrimony here is really
that.  Minor.  And nearly Shakespearean:  Much Ado About "Little".  I will do my own penance, notwithstanding.

I much prefer corresponding and sparring, if really necessary, with the righteous Richard.  "Anonymous" is not somebody
I would  spend time on.

Steve.

Richard Forno wrote:

Dave,

A clarification to you and your readers is called for regarding Steven Manning's comment about an item I posted to the
IP list yesterday.  Steven apparently does not realize that I did NOT write the article --- I made no judgment call
about the content of the article, but merely passed it along to IP as a possible item of interest to your readers.

I resent the accusation by Steven that those are my words.  As you and others know, were I to pen an article, it would
be published under my own name and posted on my own website -- and not through the veneer of bloggish anonymity.  If he
has problems with the article's content, may I suggest he contact 'Anonymous' on the site cited in the article link to
voice his concerns and not blame the messenger.   Indeed, as Steven says, homework is indispensable.

Thanks for making this known to your readers,

Rick