Interesting People mailing list archives

{ I second Dave djf} Richard Bennett Op-Ed in the San Francisco Chronicle

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 03:48:24 -0700

From: Richard Bennett [richard () bennett com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:41 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   { I second Dave djf}  Richard Bennett Op-Ed in the San Francisco Chronicle

It's not really conjecture that Google has been the prime organizer and source of funding for It's Our Net, Open
Internet Coalition, and Internet for Everyone, David P., it's a matter of public record, as is their cooperation with
Save the Internet.  Similarly, the $2 million grant by Google to the Stanford Center for Internet and Society, Lessig's
status as co-founder, Wu's connection to Lessig, and Wu's position in Free Press, the manager of Save the Internet are
all public. Granted, Lessig has been campaigning for his personal vision of Internet regulation for a very long time,
and he would most likely be doing what he's doing whether Google approved or not. Lessig's personal stake in the NN
movement as founder, saint, and hero is an interesting topic in its own right, and deserves a separate series of
articles.

What I'm trying to explain in this article is why Google is so intensely interested in all of this, and what the
implications are of regulating the first mile while allowing CDNs to escape regulation and scrutiny. There's a double
standard at work in Google's position, and it just happens to advantage large, deep-pocketed companies at the expense
of the little guy who has no chance of building a network to rival the Google infrastructure.

There are clearly two other strains of interest in net neutrality: one emanating from the Berkman Center that has a
simplistic and idealistic view of Internet architecture's relationship with Internet operations. The real network is
chock-full of middle boxes enforcing routing and traffic policies, but folks who think operations are defined by an
end-to-end principle don't seem to appreciate how vital that infrastructure is to maintaining a stable and reliable
network. And finally there are people who simply hate middleboxes because of the lock-in and architectural inelegance
that they imply.

Most of the heated public rhetoric about NN doesn't even relate to network design or operation anyway, it's concerns
about free speech and privacy that we would have regardless of the architecture of the network that we use most often.

So yes, I believe it's possible to support NN without being a Google shill, and I know that most of the individuals who
support it aren't on Google's payroll. But on the political front, it's undeniable that Google is the prime source of
money and organization in the battle for a highly-regulated first mile.

The Yahoo deal takes Google into a market-share position where we no longer have to argue about whether they're a
monopoly or not, they are as a matter of pure definition. The remaining question is simply whether they manage their
monopoly status in such a way as to stifle competition and abuse their power.

My reading of the underlying effects on competition that come from the kind of NN regulations Google has offered to the
Congress suggest they have every intention of abusing their power.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I have to go where the evidence leads me.

RB