Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: whether prices are excessive.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:09:25 -0700

From: Stephen Unger [unger () cs columbia edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:19 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] whether prices are excessive.

My experience has been that textbook publishers appear to violate what
I always thought was a fundamental market rule that I remember from
high school and college economics courses. I learned (and it seems
sensible) that the optimal price for a product in a competitive market
is a little above the marginal cost. Once the publisher's share of
book sales has paid off the initial costs of production (editing,
etc.) the cost per additional book to the publisher is just the cost
of printing another copy and distributing it. I would expect that the
price would fall to some modest figure above these costs.

What I found, in the case of two  text books that I have authored, is
that the publisher, instead of reducing the price after paying off
fixed costs, has steadily increased it. Not surprisingly, demand fell,
partly because there was more incentive for students to buy and sell
used copies. My requests, as the author, to reverse this process were
ignored, and books that started out at well under $50 are now listed
at over $120. One of these books is on technology and society issues,
accessible to general readers. But obviously almost nobody is going to
pay $120 for a 353 page paperback book. Comparable sized books on the
same topic usually sell for under $35.

The attitude of the publisher is perhaps best revealed by the
following tale. My department consolidated our digital logic and
computer organization courses, which I had been teaching, into one
course. Since I did not want my students to have to buy two expensive
books, I presented the publisher of the digital logic book, which I
had written, with the following choice: either sell that book to my
students at half price, or I will post the required parts (about half
the book) on line so my students wouldn't have to buy it. There were
roughly 80 students in the class, and obviously the publisher would
make a substantial profit on each copy sold at the halved price (then
about $50). Guess what! They declined, thereby losing all the sales,
not only to that class, but to my classes in subsequent semesters.

Steve

Stephen H. Unger
Professor (retired)
Computer Science Department