Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: We didn't need all that DRM after all??

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:09:18 -0700

From: WWWhatsup [joly () punkcast com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:37 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   We didn't need all that DRM after all??

The reason that there's no download button on YouTube is that
that would invaldate their 'safe harbor' status under the dmca.

As far as Hulu goes I guess it's all about stickiness.

joly

From: Peter Wayner [pcw () flyzone com]

I'm not sure I follow this. How are Hulu or YouTube not DRMed? There's very little practical difference between a
proprietary format and some encryption that calls itself DRM.

I don't remember seeing a "download DIVX file" button on their site.

             WWWhatsup NYC