Interesting People mailing list archives

DPI and ISPs versus Gmail and Google

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:39:35 -0700

From: jon.strayer () gmail com [jon.strayer () gmail com] On Behalf Of Jon Strayer [jon () strayer org]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 9:31 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: For IP DPI and ISPs versus Gmail and Google

For IP if you wish.

From: Seth Finkelstein [sethf () sethf com<mailto:sethf () sethf com>]

       I'd say the elephant in the room is Google's Gmail. People
know that, right? Recall, Gmail READS EVERY MAIL MESSAGE TO SERVE ADS!

Ah, but there is a big difference.  I can use Gmail or not.  I can use Gmail for things that are going to be posted on
the Internet anyway and another account for things I really want to keep private.

But if my ISP is scanning every packet then I'm stuck.  Sure, I can switch to another ISP, but the odd are they are
going to scan the packets too.

       This all seems to be a slippery slope in action:

1) Email is scanned for spam and virus reasons
2) So Google can scan email to serve ads

Google can scan my email because I gave them permission to do so (by using their optional service).  Having an ISP is
not optional if you want to use the Internet.

--
Esse Quam Videre
To Be, rather than to Seem