Interesting People mailing list archives

MY SUCCESS --- a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:04:07 -0700

From: Roy S. Rapoport [ip () ols inorganic org]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 12:12 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] MY SUCCESS ---  a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:23:36AM -0700, David Farber wrote:
It was poined our that in some places -- Michigan , they accepted
reservations in the Personal Shopping times. I tried it in Pittsburgh.
When I got to the store at 0900 they said they don't do that BUT they
were about to open up for selling so I was first on the line anyway.

[original article deleted]

The more I hear of this, the more I'm convinced that Apple is not trying
some sort of nefarious artificial hazing process or trying to hype the
demand for the iPhone, but rather that they simply have no clue, and
store-by-store processes are left up to the people on the ground to figure
out.  For example, where I got my phone (Burlingame, CA) they did an
excellent job telling people what models were available and, when they
started running out, indicated the last person in line who could get the
more restricted model.  They handled the situation pretty much as well as
they could, I suppose (though the people who had to stand in line to get
into the store even though they weren't getting an iPhone probably were
pretty annoyed).

-roy