Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: BOUND TO CAUSE COMMENTS djf 50 Percent of Sequoia VotingMachines Flawed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:56:08 -0700

From: Louis Mamakos [louie () transsys com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:04 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   BOUND TO CAUSE COMMENTS djf 50 Percent of Sequoia VotingMachines Flawed

There certainly is expertise in the old US of A to design, build and
deploy secure
systems for electronic voting.  You need only travel to Las Vegas or
Atlantic City
and see how the gaming commissions there ensure that the electronic
gaming machines
are certified for use.  I'll bet there are all manner of safeguards to
prevent
tampering that have been figured out, and might be repurposed to a
more pedestrian
voting application.  And I'm sure they're all over the human-factors
aspect of
this, too.

Louis Mamakos