Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Can You Go to Prison for Lying to a Web Site?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 06:09:25 -0800

From: eekid () aol com [eekid () aol com]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 8:56 AM
To: David Farber; dfarber () cs cmu edu; lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Can You Go to Prison for Lying to a Web Site?

Mr. Farber post to IP if you care to.

Maybe I'm a criminal.  I routinely provide false identification information to websites and intend to continue.

Routinely, website registrations require to know who I am, my birth date, phone number, mothers maiden name, pet names,
best friend's name, address and other details that could be used to steal a person's identity or deluge them with
unwanted advertisements.

A couple years ago, I received a phone call from a woman who called herself Wendy M (I won't give our her last name and
violate her privacy) , she claimed to be working on a genealogy search of her family and claimed that I was a distant
relative.  When she pressed me for information about my family, (birth dates, birth cities, brothers, sisters,
employers, etc) I refused her request.  I explained that I didn't know her and that such information could be used to
steal a person's identity.  She then explained that my feelings were perfectly understandable and asked if I would be
willing to simply confirm existing information she had found.  I asked her what information she might already have and
she then began to rattle off a chain of personal information about me.

I was amazed to find the information she had was in fact the fake online identity I commonly use.  With my fake birth
date, fake mothers maiden name (even the odd spelling).  I simply explained to her that all the information she had was
correct and she went away never to be heard from again.  She promised to send me the family tree when she completed it
but never did.

Was she trying to collect information about me to steal my identity?  At what point did I give ANY website, corporation
or ad agency permission to distribute my personal data to anyone claiming to be performing a 'genealogy' search?

Sure, I could simply not register to read a newspaper online or not use some service rather than provide fake
information but, what happens when nearly all websites require some form of registration that requires personal
information of some sort?  Because of spammers, an increasing number do.  Is it acceptable to have to choose between
maintaining some level of personal privacy or disconnecting from the internet?

Is this site registration information the equivalent of the local library (or Amazon.com) keeping records on who I am
and what I read, then passing it on to anyone who wants a copy and is willing to pay a few bucks to access it?
Including your employer, government or nosy neighbors?

Would you be comfortable with that?

Why does it seem that 'We The People' are constantly being bombarded with requirements that we completely open the
details of our lives, to government, corporations, etc. when the requirements for them to do the same are headed in the
opposite direction?  Even when time and time again, they botch prtecting of such information.

I firmly believe we should shield ourselves from identity thieves, unwarranted government intrusion, nosy neighbors,
etc. and if websites aren't going to protect our personal data, who will?

Then again, perhaps that's just my "criminal mind" taking me down the wrong path again...

Jerry  (This may not be my real name)