Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Holy War! Researchers say EEs have a 'terrorist mindset'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:01:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: January 31, 2008 4:46:30 PM EST
To: <allan () friedmans org>, "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Holy War! Researchers say EEs have a 'terrorist mindset'

I’ll admit that I didn’t read the paper in detail but if the sample set was small we’re dealing with “just so” stories based on little evidence and lots of assumptions about the “engineering mindset”. One lesson I learned in graduate school was to first go to the conclusions to decide if the stuff before is worth reading – when I say a major caveat that seems to moot the statistics and then naïve statements about engineering I become suspicious. If you’re saying “trained” rather than “educated” you would seem to be talking more about technicians than engineers
anyway.

Have you looked at the statistics in sufficient detail and with sufficient skepticism to say that there is sufficient evidence to support the statistics as being significant and indicative of cause and effect? Are the statistics normalized for cultural differences it the classification of professions? Are doctors engineers – there certainly seem to be a number of high profile medical people associated with terrorism.

George Lakoff’s Moral Politics dichotomy might be more apropos. You should also listen to Julia Sweeney’s Letting Go of God in which she tells about, among other things, recognizing that science actually very good at dealing with ambiguity. If we’re speculating I could argue that those who are frustrated with ambiguity leave engineering for the simplicity of ideology rather than the opposite.

I could reverse the prejudice and not that a good engineer learns very soon that you can’t fully debug a nontrivial system. But a policy mindset doesn’t get hard reality checks.