Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AP article on MPAA mistake (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:57:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brock N Meeks <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: January 23, 2008 9:55:36 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] AP article on MPAA mistake (fwd)

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover the MPAA is fudging it's numbers!

I swear, this scheme of inflating losses--brought about by nefarious "beyond-their-control" practices--foisted on us by trade associations just never quits. I think they all get issued the same playbook, file off the serial number, and expect us all to swallow every fact and figure as if it were tried and true.

Any reporter covering such industry-wide revenue loss stories should immediately start ripping the alleged numbers apart as soon as the press release is issued. I mean, this is low-hanging fruit for journalists, because the names may change but the final outcome rarely does: that the numbers are cooked.

From my own experience: When I covered tech issues, every year the Business Software Alliance would bleat and moan about the "billions" being lost to software privacy. Each year's claim was bolstered by an impressive press release and "study" that came with charts (look, it's in color this year!) and grafs and BIG NUMBERS that reporters could put in their lead paragraphs. Only... when you asked the SBA to actually tell you how they were able to magically (heroically) ferret out these losses, on a global basis, and from inside countries where they had no legal standing and little access <cough: China>, they stumbled all over themselves. They had no good answer; instead they coughed up a hair ball explanation, saying their figures were largely "estimates." They estimated that X number of PCs were sold in China and that on each machine there were X number of illegal programs loaded onto them and that each of those programs resulted in X amount of lost revenue, therefore, the software industry was "suffering" from a XX billion dollar global loss...

I just checked the latest report... IDC did the analysis, using "proprietary statistics" for software and hardware shipments (if a + b = c then..) that are "gathered through surveys of vendors [no one ever lies or has an agenda for shading their answers!], users and the channel, and enlisted IDC analysts in more than fifty countries to review local market conditions."

Umm... so, a country product manager for Mr. Big Software Marker, sees his or her numbers drop below quota, what to do??!! Oh yeah, it's that damn software piracy problem! [I'm not implying that product managers are corrupt or liars or cheats... I'm just saying...]

Bah.

It was nothing but a wild ass guess, easily inflated for the media, a charade. [OK, ok... yes, I know software piracy is a legit issue; my point is that cooking the books degrades the issue.]

Second example: the loss in revenue to the long distance telephone companies (remember when there were companies that only handled long distance calls? Look it up in Wikipedia, I'm sure it's there...) owing to long distance calling card fraud.

I remember each year, just like the SBA, the long distance companies would come together and bleat and moan (see playbook, chapter 5: Suggested Drama Strategies on Press Day) about the billions being lost each year.

I pressed them and pressed and pressed them to tell me how they were getting these numbers--because like SBA, they grew and grew and grew, until finally they were just ludicrous--and, lo and behold, it was all just an "educated guess."

MPAA is now just the latest group to have dropped it's playbook for all to see.