Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Response

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:46:48 -0800

From: Ronald J Riley (RJR-com) [rjr () rjriley com]
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 7:42 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: RE: [IP] Comcast Response

Dave, for IP if you wish.

I think that Declan Forde is blowing smoke on behalf of Comcast.

When I inquired about port 25 being blocked on my account they gave me the
you're broadcasting spam line.  So after explaining that I have a hardware
firewall (inherently more secure than a software firewall), that every
computer is running PcCillin, and that I am an experienced user who is
unlikely to have an infected computer I asked them to send me the headers of
the spam they claimed was originating within my network. They told me
someone would call me the next day about the issue.  They never made the
call.

I have about a dozen email accounts being serviced by two different hosted
servers.

I do not think that Comcast is blocking port 25 based on spams.  I do think
that they are blocking port 25 when it is being used to send email to
servers other than theirs.

At this time I do not have a viable alternative to Comcast.  The same was
true with Verizon some years ago, and I had no choice except to have three
landlines with them.  Today I other alternatives, and there is only one
Verizon line.

Comcast wasted a great deal of my time.  I will broom them as soon as doing
so is in my interest.

I think that Comcast is both incompetent and arrogant!

Ronald J. Riley,

Speaking on my own behalf.
President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR at PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Senior Fellow - www.patentPolicy.org
President - Alliance for American Innovation
Caretaker of Intellectual Property Creators on behalf of deceased founder
Paul Heckel
Washington, DC
Direct (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 9 pm EST.