Interesting People mailing list archives

Has AT&T Lost Its Mind?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 05:08:18 -0800

From: Synthesis:Law and Technology Law and Technology [synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 7:58 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip; Aleecia M. McDonald
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Has AT&T Lost Its Mind?

Dave,

I believe there is some confusion here.

It is important to note that the Verizon blocking was a decision they took, not a case.  We have no way of knowing
(merely guessing) what happens if a decision is contested in court.  Also, if it went to court there is no guarantee
common-carrier status would be invoked.  We are a lot less guessing with the AT&T situation.

Common-carrier is a 'status' and that 'status'  can be used as an 'exemption' for certain things.

Store-and-forward is a process not a status.  You can have a store-and-forward system without being a common carrier
and you can be a common carrier without any store-and-forward and vice versa.  The only reason we talk about
store-and-forward is that inherent to the technology is the potential that some offending content 'might' end up on a
server and be used as evidence of violation, in which case the carrier would want to invoke the exemption.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology