Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: REMINDER: Reforming the FCC - January 5, 2009 with a comment by your editor

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:32:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: December 10, 2008 7:29:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] REMINDER: Reforming the FCC - January 5, 2009 with a comment by your editor

Hi Dave -

For IP if you wish.

On Dec 10, 2008, at 4:17 PM, David Farber wrote:

I am "amused" by the notable lack of sny technologist among the speakers or discussants. One of the failings of the FCC has been its inability to develop a knowledge balance on its staff and leadership between law/economics and technology even though many of its problems revolve about technological innovations. I would claim that unless this is addressed we will not have any meaningful reform of the FCC.

Heh. Well I have no K-street connections nor fancy conference centers to fill, so I'm forced to use the Internet. I published 5 proposals which were sent to change.gov, the last one being sort of relevant to your FCC comments.

http://public.resource.org/change.gov/

You'll note most of my focus is on the GPO as I think that is actually a key agency if we are serious about transparency coming, at least partly, from government as a more effective and systematic publisher of its own works. But, I couldn't resist trolling for mail from amateur radio aficionados with the rural internetification proposal.

Best regards,

Carl