Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: New AAA study on distracted driving and cell phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 01:50:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Peterson <gep2 () terabites com>
Date: December 31, 2008 2:30:55 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: New AAA study on distracted driving and cell phones

It's true that many things can distract a driver.

However, relatively few of those are likely to distract a driver for as long a time, and as continuously, as a cell phone conversation commonly does.

Part of the problem is that the person on the other end of the cell phone conversation is generally unaware of traffic conditions the driver is in, and therefore expects the full attention of the driver, even when they cannot safely give that. Talking to another rider in the same car is different, since they hopefully can see when traffic gets hairy, and pause the conversation for a while until things ease up a little.

It is very frustrating when, after being angered by another driver who is clearly not paying attention to what they are doing, you finally get past them and see that VERY VERY often they are (predictably) talking on their cell phone.

The fact that other things CAN also distract a driver is not a reason to not address the problem.

Other driver voluntary actions which are equally irresponsible and equally lengthy (putting on makeup, eating a sandwich, reading a newspaper, whatever) while driving should be equally illegal.

I have seen this often oin Pittsburgh djf
Begin forwarded message: