Interesting People mailing list archives

list of computing history recommendations

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 19:14:29 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sarah Lai Stirland" <stirland () gmail com>
Date: December 30, 2008 6:42:18 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: list of computing history recommendations

Hi everyone --

So here's the wide-ranging list of recommendations that I received
that did not already make it to the listserv. My request was
relatively vague because I wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for
exactly, but this initial list + David Reed's e-mail from the 24th
will give me lots to root around, and it'll give me the resources to
get more focused. Thanks for the input.

Sarah

*IEEE Computer Society COMPUTER magazine, Jim Warren, "Personal and
Hobby Computing: An Overview", pp.10-21

*Ted Nelson's new book "Geeks Bearing Gifts" has just been published and
is his telling of computer history:
http://www.lulu.com/content/5371507

*There is some very good stuff about microcomputer history contained
in Robert Schaller's PhD dissertation, "Technological Innovation in
the Semiconductor Industry: A Case Study of the International
Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors,":
http://www.xecu.net/schaller/schaller_dissertation_2004.pdf

*Project Whirlwind: History of a Pioneer Computer
http://tinyurl.com/8ts3yr

*"The Dream Machine: JCR Licklider and the Revolution the Made
Computing Personal" by M. Waldrop

*"What the Dormouse Said: How the 60's Counterculture Shaped the
Personal Computer Industry" by John Markoff

*Michael Williams' A History of Computing Technology, 2nd ed, IEEE
Computer Society but it only goes as far as the late 60s.

*Martin Campbell-Kelly's From Airline Reservations to Sonic the Hedgehog

*IBM's Early Computers, MIT Press
*IBM's 360 and Early 370 Systems
*Building IBM (this is more about the company and business than about
the technology)

*Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital: The Dynamics of
Bubbles and Golden Ages

*Bit by Bit: An Illustrated History of Computers (Paperback) by Stan Augarten

*"Fire in the Valley" by Paul Freiberger and Michael Swaine

*Computing in the Middle Ages: A View From the Trenches 1955-1983, by
Severo M. Ornstein

cultural/popular histories:
Edwards, The Closed World
Levy, Hackers
Turner, From Counterculture to Cyberculture
Cringely, Accidental Empires

technical and economic histories:
Ceruzzi, A History of Modern Computing
Ceruzzi and Aspray, The Internet and American Business
Chandler and Cortada, A Nation Transformed by Information
Campbell-Kelly and Aspray, Computer: A History of the Information Machine
Campbell-Kelly, From Airline Reservations to Sonic the Hedgehog
Akera and Nebeker, From 0 to 1
Mindell, Between Human and Machine
Gerovich, From Newspeak to Cyberspeak: A History of Soviet Cybernetics
Norberg and O'Neill, Transforming Computer Technology: Information
Processing for the Pentagon, 1962-1986
Cortada, The Digital Hand (3 volumes)
Weber, The Success of Open Source

*Programming Systems and Languages, a series of papers published by
Saul Rosen in 1967

*Digital at Work: Snapshots of the First Thirty-Five Years - Jamie
Parker Pearson

*A History of Personal Workstations (Acm Press History Series)

*Browse through the IEEE Annals of the History of Computing:
http://www.computer.org/portal/site/annals/index.jsp

*Before the Altair -- The History of Personal Computing,
Communications of the ACM, September, 1993, vol 36, no 9, pp 27-33.
http://bpastudio.csudh.edu/fac/lpress/articles/hist.htm

*Seeding Networks: the Federal Role, Communications of the ACM, pp
11-18, Vol 39., No. 10, October, 1996, reprinted in OnTheInternet,
Vol. 3, No. 1, January/February, 1997, pp 13-22.
http://bpastudio.csudh.edu/fac/lpress/articles/govt.htm

*"A Quarter Century of UNIX" (Addison-Wesley, 1994)
"Casting the Net" (A-W, 1995) Peter Salus

*"The Daemon, the Gnu, and the Penguin" (ISBN 978-0-9790342-3-7)
(2008) Peter Salus

*Computer Pioneers
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=203409
Author (editor?) J.A.N. Lee

*The Second Coming of Steve Jobs, Alan Deutschman

*Ray Kurzweil's two books: The Age of Intelligent Machines, The Age of
Spiritual Machines

*Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science.