Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Clear Privacy Update

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:37:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Daniels <bitmage () pobox com>
Date: August 8, 2008 12:54:48 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Clear Privacy Update

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 09:43:42AM -0700, David Farber wrote:

situation. Before we could send out that notice, the laptop was recovered. And, we have determined from a preliminary investigation that no one logged into the computer from the time it went missing in the office until the
time it was found. Therefore, no unauthorized person has obtained any
personal information. Again, none of your personal information was on the

No one logged in != no one copied the hard drive. You can easily boot the
laptop from a Linux CD and copy data off, leaving no traces in the logs.
Nevermind the foolishness of trusting any logging on a system that an attacker
has had physical access to.

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage () pobox com
     http://www.eviloverlord.net