Interesting People mailing list archives

Upcoming conference on "Broadband Census for America"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:54:42 -0700

From: drewclark () gmail com [drewclark () gmail com] On Behalf Of Drew Clark (Broadband Census) [drew ()
broadbandcensus com]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:29 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Upcoming conference on "Broadband Census for America"

Dave,

I'm not sure if you've included mention of http://BroadbandCensus.com in the past on your list. We recently passed our
six-month mark as a web site that is available for free to the public, having launched in January 2008. We are an
adventure in "crowdsourcing," in that we are trying to get internet users to participate in our bottom-up collection of
information about local broadband availability, competition, speeds, prices and quality of services.

Also, we just announced that, together with Carnegie Mellon, University of Texas at Austin and Virginia Tech, we will
be sponsoring a conference entitled "Broadband Census for America." The conference is free for academics and government
officials and will be held at the American Association for the Advancement of Science at 1200 New York Avenue NW,
Washington, DC, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, September 26, 2008 -- just before TPRC begins in Arlington, VA,
that afternoon.

Please feel free to post this on your list, as I believe that both BroadbandCensus.com and the "Broadband Census for
America" conference would be of interest to your readers.
Announcing a Half-Day Conference About Universal Broadband Data on September 26,
2008<http://broadbandcensus.com/blog/?p=331>

WASHINGTON, August 7, 2008 - BroadbandCensus.com, Carnegie Mellon University, the University of Texas at Austin's
Robert S. Strauss Center, and the Virginia Tech eCorridors Program invite government officials, academic researchers
and other key stakeholders to a half-day conference on collecting and sharing public data about high-speed internet
access.

The conference, "Broadband Census for America," aims to assemble state, local and federal officials engaged in
gathering and mapping information about broadband availability, competition, speeds, prices and quality of service.
Academic researchers will lend their perspective on the importance of universal broadband data.

Keynote speakers scheduled to address the conference include:

 *   Eamonn Confrey, First Secretary, Information and Communications Policy, Embassy of Ireland. Mr. Confrey has
confirmed as the luncheon speaker on "Mapping out Broadband for Consumers: The Irish Experience."

 *   Massachusetts Representative Ed Markey*, Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on
Telecommunications and the Internet. (*Invited to present opening keynote.)

The conference will also feature two panel discussions assembling key officials from academia, the states, the federal
government and private-sector initiatives to publish broadband information.

The panel titles are: "Why Does America Need a Broadband Census?" and "How Should America Conduct a Broadband Census?"
More details will be forthcoming.

"Broadband Census for America" is being held at the American Association for the Advancement of Science at 1200 New
York Avenue NW, Washington, DC. (The building is at the corner of 12th Street and H Street, NW.)

The conference will run from 8:30 a.m. and conclude by 1 p.m., providing ample time for those seeking to make the short
commute from Washington to the Telecommunications Policy Research Conference in Arlington, Virginia.

To place your reservation to attend, please e-mail: conference () broadbandcensus com<mailto:conference ()
broadbandcensus com>

read more<http://broadbandcensus.com/blog/?p=331>

--
Drew Clark
Executive Director

202-580-8196
drew () broadbandcensus com<mailto:drew () broadbandcensus com>

Daily news now available at http://BroadbandCensus.com

Recent stories: "New York City and State Each Craft Broadband Policies; City Nixes Muni Wi-Fi," at
http://broadbandcensus.com/blog/?p=320

"Relaunched Oklahoma City Wi-Fi Network Showcases City-Services Model," at http://broadbandcensus.com/blog/?p=306

NEW! "Announcing a Half-Day Conference About Universal Broadband Data on September 26, 2008," at
http://broadbandcensus.com/blog/?p=331