Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: DHS responds on laptop searches; direct action campaigns

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:26:55 -0700

From: Ron Guerin [ron () vnetworx net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:46 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] DHS responds on laptop searches; direct action campaigns

David Farber wrote:
From: Peter Swire [peter () peterswire net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:57 AM
To: David Farber

Their basic point remains the same – customs has checked people’s items at the border for 200 years, so they can
check your laptop.

It should also be noted that just because we've done something or
theoretically could have done something for 200 years doesn't mean it
was ever right to do so.  Slavery and prohibitions on inter-racial
marriage spring to mind.   Those who are determined to do something
which they cannot reasonably defend often turn to the excuse "we've
always done it that way."

- Ron