Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Peter Swire: No, You Can't Search My Laptop

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:08:56 -0700

From: Jeff Nye [jpn213 () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 5:01 PM
To: gordon () twiceasgood net
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Peter Swire: No, You Can't Search My Laptop

Hi Gordon,

If you're willing to expose a port on your home network, then from
your destination you could use scp to transfer the VM to your location
using password authentication.  Then you do not have to trust a third
party.

I still don't understand the goal of the CBP search policy.  Suppose I
arrive at the border with a laptop or 100 DVDs full of random looking
data.  That data could be noise or it could be encrypted nuclear
secrets.  As far as I can tell, CBP has no way to distinguish between
the two cases because the data could have been XORed with a one time
pad.  If CBP asks me whether the DVDs contain any encrypted data, they
lose because I can (a) lie, or (b) correctly answer "yes" and provide
a "key" that is the XOR of my data with a stream of zeros.  I don't
see an effective response from CBP for either choice.

So I'm puzzled why they're putting people through the hassle.

Jeff