Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: WiMax -- Pomegranates vs Tomatoes? Services vs Technology! Floor Wax vs Desert Topping?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:54:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Spiegel <dana () nycwireless net>
Date: August 31, 2008 2:25:57 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Cc: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: WiMax -- Pomegranates vs Tomatoes? Services vs Technology! Floor Wax vs Desert Topping?

Bob,

I don't disagree with your point, but I think you read a little too much into what I was saying.

WiMax as a technology is too expensive. We can't even begin to talk about WiMax as a service being offered locally if the equipment is too expensive for those of us that build community networks. I can buy a Wi-Fi miniPCI card that will operate as an AP or a client (or a mesh node) for $50, and along with (mostly) open source drivers, I can create any type of Wi-Fi network I want. I _can't_ buy a WiMax card for anything close to that, and since WiMax is engineered to look more like a cell network than a Wi-Fi network, I can't get a card that will be both client or AP. And we won't see WiMax open source drivers until the equipment is available enough and inexpensive enough for linux networking people to write them.

--
Dana Spiegel
Executive Director

Read the Wireless Community blog: http://www.wirelesscommunity.info

NYCwireless is a non-profit organization that advocates for, and enables the growth of free, public wireless networks