Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:54:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stephen Kent <kent () bbn com>
Date: August 20, 2008 2:00:37 PM EDT
To: Vint Cerf <vint () google com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    NSF and the Birth of the Internet

At 11:22 AM -0400 8/20/08, Vint Cerf wrote:
Steve, in that case, it must be that the Dec 1974 blackboard that Karl mentions was purely TCP based and the objects encapsulated were either encrypted payloads (segments of data) or the whole header. I can't quite tell from the diagrams but could easily imagine at that early date that payload encryption might have been the initial design objective.

vint

Yes, I could believe that payload encryption was an initial design model, and a very reasonable one. That's equivalent to what we can do today via IPsec transport mode.

Or, my recollection of those BCR design details could be wrong :-)!

I don't know if BBN has any of the BCR reports from that time frame. I can ask our librarian.

Steve