Interesting People mailing list archives

more on the birth of the internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:06:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Yale N Patt <patt () ece utexas edu>
Date: August 19, 2008 8:05:27 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: more on the birth of the internet

        Begin forwarded message:

        From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
        Date: August 19, 2008 5:52:54 PM EDT
        To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
        Subject: Re: [IP] Re:        NSF and the Birth of the Internet

        It is mighty interesting to see history rewritten by some folks who
        were not there "then".  I was there for most of the ride (from 73 on)
        and happened to ...

As one who was along for the ride in 1968 and 1969, the above sentence
struck a chord with me.  I was a fairly fresh young Lieutenant on active
duty in the Army, with a recent PhD in EE from Stanford, assigned to the
committee that met at least monthly during the time when the initial
four nodes were coming on line.

With all the "fathers" I regularly hear bandied about, I am always
disappointed that I never hear the name Licklider mentioned. I believe
he had the original vision.  Or, Larry Roberts who had probably
the largest part in making it happen, or Bob Taylor, whose job was
to manage the store that was responsible for making it happen.  Or,
Glen Culler, the PhD mathematician who was one of the best engineers
I have ever known, and the guy who I think made the biggest difference
with respect to actually implementing it.  Lenny Kleinrock's PhD thesis
and measurement work was also relevant as was the work of D.W. Davies,
whose name I finally saw posted to IP for the first time recently.
I remember a meeting in Davies office in Teddington on the topic in
August, 1968.  And, while I am at it, Al Gore was extremely useful
at a time when government funding for this "vision" did not seem quite
so attractive to many.

Yale Patt