Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Two msgs California Declares Free Market Broken, Recommends Price Controls For Phone Services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:01:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: August 16, 2008 2:53:36 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: California Declares Free Market Broken, Recommends Price Controls For Phone Services

At 12:23 PM 8/16/2008, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

Deregulation of phone service pricing in California by the CPUC was,
as I recall, specifically predicated on the telcos' promises that
price increases would not get out of hand.

At the time, telephone companies could not have predicted that the
Internet would make it so easy to bypass them, nor that cellular
phones would become so popular and common. I doubt that they
actually "promised" anything; however, it is fairly likely that they
pointed to the economic climate at the time, when dial-up modems
were common and the number of land lines was going UP, not down.
Today, the telcos really do have a serious problem: their overhead
is growing due to increased commodity, energy, and labor costs
but far fewer phone lines are in use. And because -- in their passion
for vertical integration -- they decline to allow competitors to rent
those lines at any reasonable price, they are actually foregoing
potential rents.

Ironically, it appears that California appears all too eager to regulate
at the retail level, but not at the wholesale level -- even though
enabling competitive providers would surely enable aggressive competition
and thereby benefit consumers.

Part of the reason that the ISP access situation in the U.S. is so
limited in a practical sense for most consumers is that we allowed
all manner of deployment and other ISP promises in that sector to be
ignored by those ISPs as well.

Please give examples.

Our ISP has never once failed to make good on a promise to deploy
service.

--Brett Glass

Begin forwarded message: