Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: US Internet speeds won't catch up with Japan in 100 years

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:59:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 16, 2008 2:52:29 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'WJCarpenter'" <bill-ip () carpenter org>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: US Internet speeds won't catch up with Japan in 100 years

Comcast came by the other day to bypass their old box on the side of my house. Apparently it's part of their move to DISOSS 3.0. The installer mentioned they are testing it in Boston already.

Question -- what routers are capable of those speeds. Where can I get a router/NAT that doesn't have a lot of policy complexity slowing it down?

It will also be interesting to do another speed test between my adjacent connections? Last time I got less than 10% of the supposed speed between the units inches apart. It probably didn’t help that the bits had to travel 500 miles through many routers.

Too bad (as far as I know) the current protocols don’t make it easy for me to provide my own bridging locally. To put it another way, too bad communities can’t add interconnect capacity themselves.