Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Cablecos ponder networked DVRs in wake of Cablevision ruling

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:08:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: August 8, 2008 2:51:34 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Cablecos ponder networked DVRs in wake of Cablevision ruling

[Note:  This comment comes from friend Bob Frankston.  DLH]

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 8, 2008 10:33:41 AM PDT
To: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>, "'Dewayne-Net Technology List'" <xyzzy () warpspeed com> Subject: RE: [Dewayne-Net] Cablecos ponder networked DVRs in wake of Cablevision ruling

A better idea -- we buy our own disk drives and put them in our PC's --
considering that terabyte drives will soon be $100 why do I need to pay for storing video a service and why would I would I want a third party like a
CableCo caching the content for me when I can go direct to the source?

Of course in order for this to work they will have to have enough capacity
to give each and every one of us the ability to stream megabits
simultaneously to multiple viewing surfaces at no cost per bit and if they
do that how can they claim there is scarce capacity?

Or are their bits all that special and don't have to worry about byte caps?
Why can't I choose Akamai as my cache manager?
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>