Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber project in Utah in deep trouble

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 03:24:54 -0700

From: Rahul Tongia [tongia () cmu edu]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 5:03 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Muni fiber project in Utah in deep trouble

Dave,

I think many of us had high hopes for Utopia, but its "failures" aren't,
IMHO, due inherently to a failure of the design per se, but the fact
that this was in many ways a public competitor to non-compliant private
operators who, I have read but would love more data on, were
relentlessly subject to the "Walmart Effect." I.e., the incumbents
miraculously matched prices in those ares where Utopia came to be, but
(mostly) not otherwise.

I remember when AirTran started flights from NYC to Pittsburgh.  Cheap
fares. What did the highly dominant USAirways do (they had some 85% of
PIT gates)? They matched fares. Most flyers preferred USAirways, esp.
business flyers.  In a short while, AirTran folded that route.  Then, lo
and behold, USAir's fares went up.

One thing the article linked below got very right - the retailers and
wholesalers have to work together to make open access work.  That works
well in things like roads (where ford/gm/toyota or UPS/FedEx/DHL or
contractor A/B/C compete).  Retailers need to compete with each other,
not the infrastructure provider.

Let's bound this problem, ignoring fungibility of broadband via cable
vs. fiber etc.  If we claim that 60% of homes have broadband, and we
have 3 competitors at a physical level, then, on average, they each
would have 20% market share.  Makes things a little expensive.  The
Utopia model is perhaps best suited for Open Access in places where it
could realistically strive for 30-50% market share.  Open Access ("layer
0") does work - I've had a number of chats with the founder of Stokab,
Sweden's fiber company that was private, not public.  I've published on
this topic extensively, but public vs. private is somewhat of a red
herring in many cases, especially when we consider developing countries.

Rahul

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Scientist

Program in Computation, Organizations, and Society (COS)
School of Computer Science (ISR) /
Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA