Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Study Gives High Marks to U.S. Internet - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:50:15 -0700

From: John Markoff [markoff () nyt com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:43 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Study Gives High Marks to U.S. Internet - New York Times

Hi Dave,

News judgement is a tricky thing. Adam dispute mine, but I thought I
would pass along a portion of the official press release from WEF
(which I just saw)...

Note the bullet points which indicate what they thought was the most
salient news in the report......

John Markoff

Matthias Lüfkens, Associate Director, Tel.: +41 (0) 22 869 1212 - matthias.luefkens () weforum or

French German Italian 日本語 Spanish Portuguese 中文

DENMARK TOPS THE GLOBAL INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY REPORT 2007-2008

        • The US moves up three places to fourth place
        • The Republic of Korea jumps into the top ten, placing ninth
        • Produced in cooperation with INSEAD, the Report provides
comparative information for business and governments
        • Report highlights, summary, country profiles, quotes, maps and
more at: http://www.weforum.org/gitr
Geneva, Switzerland, 9 April 2008 - Denmark is the most networked
economy in the world, followed by Sweden and Switzerland, according to
The Global Information Technology Report 2007-2008, released today by
the World Economic Forum. Among the top ten, the Republic of Korea (9)
and, to a lesser extent, the United States (4) post the most notable
improvements (moving up 10 and 3 positions, respectively).

“The successful experience of the Nordic countries, Singapore, the
United States or Korea shows that a coherent government vision on the
importance of ICT, coupled with an early focus on education and
innovation, are key not only for spurring networked readiness, but
also to lay the foundations for sustainable growth,” said Irene Mia,
Senior Economist of the Global Competitiveness Network at the World
Economic Forum and Co-Editor of the Report.

Published for the seventh consecutive year with record coverage of 127
economies worldwide, the Report has become the world’s most
comprehensive and authoritative international assessment of the impact
of ICT on the development process and the competitiveness of nations.