Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: College Board eliminates computer science AP test

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:57:41 -0700

From: Tim Finin [finin () cs umbc edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:24 AM
To: Peter Wayner
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] College Board eliminates computer science AP test

Peter Wayner wrote:
Just a note: a quick scan of the AP site shows that there are two CS
courses with levels A and AB. The AB program being cut is the more
rigorous pushing more of the math and more of the data structures.
  http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_compscia.html?compscia
  vs
  http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_compsciab.html?comsciab
While I can't be certain, my reading of the article suggests that
they're not eliminating all AP CS courses, just the AB track.
Does anyone know for certain?

About five minutes after sendinf the message to Dave and blogging about it,
I found this post from yesterday afternoon on the ACM blog, that conforms
that only the CS AB test is being eliminated -- the CS A test will continue.
Still, I think it is not a good sign.  I think most people would consider
offering AP courses in computer science to be in a different category than
Latin Literature, one of the other AP tests eliminated.  Of course, I might
be biased...

http://usacm.acm.org/usacm/weblog/index.php?p=593

"Today’s Washington Post has an article stating that
the College Board, (the body that administers Advanced
Placement courses) is doing away with several AP courses
– including one computer science course. Reading the
article, you’d likely reach the conclusion, as attested
by e-mails I’ve seen this morning, that all AP computer
science courses are being eliminated. This is not the
case. There are two AP computer science courses – AP
Computer Science A, and AP Computer Science AB. The
college board is eliminating the less popular AB
course, not the A course. ... "