Interesting People mailing list archives

No Starch Press Turns Table on File Sharing--Media Alert

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:56:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Victor Marks" <victor () macnn com>
Date: April 3, 2008 9:50:09 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: No Starch Press Turns Table on File Sharing--Media Alert

Dave, For IP if you wish.

This is a PR announcement from oreilly - they're distributing two
books on bittorrent networks. They frame this as 'beating piracy' by
being first to distribute and controlling the release by initiating
rather than an individual 'pirate' initiating distribution.

Notably, the author of the release says "The truth of the matter is
that the battle to stop people from posting copyrighted material to
torrent sites is one that can't be won. Beside the fact that No Starch
Press sells PDFs without DRM (digital rights management) protections,
anything that can be viewed online can be captured and pirated."

Add this to the Canadian television program being distributed by
bittorrent, and linux distributions available by bittorrent, and we're
seeing bittorrent transformed slowly from 'evil illegal pirate
network' into just another service like email, http, and instant
messaging.

ISPs are going to have to find a way to accommodate customers who wish
to use these services, I expect.

Regards,
Victor Marks