Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: good question Credit Default Swaps

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:34:07 -0700

Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:29 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  **please anonymise**  good question  Credit Default Swaps

Hi Dave,

** please anonymise***

to clarify a bit the discussion around CDS, as I've been working in IT
in banks and financial markets, I thought you might find this input
interesting

I am not a financial expert, but I've been working in banks for a
while now, and my understanding of the CDS as instrument is the
following
A CDS is best understood as an insurance policy.
The value of the premium you pay is linked but much much smaller than
the amount protected by it and proportional to the risk covered.
So as explained in the parent, if I lend USD1M to Mr X. and I want to
cover myself against Mr X defaulting, I'll pay Mr Y. a regular sum to
make sure that if X. stops paying, Y. pays instead.

Where it gets interesting is that you can trade CDS without having the
exposure (without having lent money), as a pure speculative product.
In that case, when buying, you're essentially betting that the risk of
Mr X defaulting (or, more often, the perception of the risk) will
increase and that someone will be interested in buying the coverage
from you at some point (for a higher price, obviously, as the risk has
increased). Being on the sell side works the other way around, thus
betting the credit worthiness will decrease.

As for most speculative products, this only works in liquid markets (a
liquid market is a market on which, if you want to sell or buy at the
market price, you'll get a deal rapidly) . If the confidence in these
products decreases, the liquidity of the market decrease and holding
these instruments can be considered as holding a time bomb as you
carry a risk that you haven't really evaluated for itself but rather
for its variation (or derivative).
For instance, many ABS and MBS (asset-backed and mortgage-backed
securities) are now rather illiquid products compared to a few months
ago. The credit crunch is often called in the banking industry the
liquidity crisis.

In terms of evaluating the financial weight of a product class, many
different metrics can be used. For instance interest rate swaps can be
measured based on the nominal (a fictional amount on which the
transaction is based), in which case it is a staggering amount of
money, or in terms of actual cash flows, in which case it is much more
"decent".
Similarly, in CDS, if we consider the amounts covered (especially as
the same debt can be covered several times, as the reality of the
coverage doesn't matter for speculative trading of these instruments),
the figure given may be correct. In terms of real money exchange,
though, the amounts are likely to be infinitely smaller.