Interesting People mailing list archives

An LA Times interview on South Park and the Internet or, an Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:26:56 -0700

From: Bob Frankston [Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:25 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: An LA Times interview on South Park and the Internet or, an Internet

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/webscout/2008/04/south-parks-int.html

It gives a good overview and understanding of their understanding of the Internet from a “content” point of view. It’s
worth also listening to the audio portions. It gives a good sense on the interplay between the Internet and commercial
productions.

I appreciate their savvy but we also need to remember that it’s only one way to think about the Internet – there isn’t
a sense of the Internet as basic infrastructure. The Internet is such a general concept that it’s all-too-easy to
confuse one’s deep insight from a single perspective with understanding. This is the problem with so much of the NN
debate and the arcane details of particular protocols as if we could manage the current broadband paths against
arbitrary metrics.