Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Credit Default Swaps

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:08:02 -0700

From: hal () halstucker com [hal () halstucker com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:57 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Credit Default Swaps

Dear Prof. Farber:

An interesting instrument indeed. It's not very clear how much exposure JPMorgan would have had directly to a Bear
Stearns bankruptcy, as JPMorgan was, I believe, also writing its own CDS. It seems more a matter of how much a Bear
Stearns meltdown would have affected the market overall. My understanding is that Bear had a portfolio of approximately
USD 30bn in credit default swaps, both as a buyer and seller of these instruments, meaning they would have either owed
premiums to a seller if they were buyers of the CDS contract, or would be liable for payout in case of a default, if
they were the sellers. The Fed apparently stepped in because it feared the repercussions of a $30 billion blowout on
the overall market and promised to backstop any losses a buyer of Bear Stearns might incur up to the $30 billion. I
work as an editor for a subsidiary of the Financial Times and one of our reporters had a source tell her that, while
JPMorgan's party line was that they were only offering $2 per share because they had no time to do proper due
diligence, the real reason for the low, low share price they offerd was the CDS time bomb in Bear's portfolio.

While this is scary enough, what is truly frightening is the way these instruments have been traded with virtually no
oversight over the last decade. Warren Buffet, God love him, quite famously called credit derivatives "financial
weapons of mass destruction." CDS seems to have been bought and sold by individuals who had very little understanding
of what they were buying and how they worked and, well, we're now seeing the results. They were essentially designed as
a kind of insurance policy that could be purchased to cover bond risk, i.e., I buy $50m in bonds and I also buy a CDS
contract that will pay me the face value if my bonds default. Sounds simple enough, right? Because these instruments
are unregulated, however, they've become beloved of speculators betting for or against a company's creditworthiness.
Wikipedia has a very good page on CDS, which provides an excellent overview of the both the workings and the insane
complexity of these things. The page points out that the amount of CDS written on a bond issue may eventually dwarf the
actual value of the bonds. So if a $1bn bond issue defaults, with creditors ultimately perhaps receiving $.40 on the
dollar in a settlement, there may be $10bn worth of CDS outstanding, which means someone is on the hook for $6bn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_default_swap

Sounding a bit like the savings and loan meltdown of the late 1980s? There are a lot of similarities - where S&Ls were
freed by the Garn St. Germain act to invest in all kinds of risky deals the S&L bankers didn't understand, here bankers
at commercial and investment banks, trying to compete with the returns investors were getting (or thought they were
getting) from hedge funds, apparently turned to all sorts of risky deals they only kinda, sorta understood. And there
are more flavors of derivatives out there than anyone can keep track of. Ever hear of liquidity puts? According to the
New York Times, neither had Robert Rubin, former Treasury Secretary and now a senior executive at Citigroup.
Comforting, isn't it? Part of the market woes we're now experiencing seem to come as much from sheer panic as from any
actual losses, though those have been substantial. The subtext of much of this seems to be, "Okay, we drank the
subprime Koolaid, and maybe that won't kill us. But we drank so many other flavors of Koolaid as well....."

I know it's cliche, but who better to quote than that oft-quoted economic sage Yogi Berra - "This is like deja vu all
over again." For the fourth (or is it the fifth) time in my middle-aged life.